Saturday, April 26, 2008

Tremont



Living in Tremont, IL you can become comfortable in your faith. We don't have homeless people, our poor keep quiet and so don't bother us enough to do anything special. We have good middle class churches who train up good middle class children, provide them with good mission trips led by good middle class people like my wife and I. But I wonder if I could do an inner city mission trip and live with a homeless person for two or three days. Could I eat what they eat, sleep where they sleep, or feel what they feel? Jesus was homeless, he never owned a home, had a yard to mow, a roof to shingle, dusting to do or cat boxes to clean. Am I missing something? With all my daily concerns am I missing a deeper relationship with Christ because I have sold myself to my culture? I am thankful for a community where friends abound. I am thankful for a community where faith abounds. I pray that I would never take advantage of those blessings. The church doors are from TUMC where I was raised, the cross comes from the bridge south of Tremont on old route 121. Memories.
God is good.

No comments: