Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Lent

Lent, never meant much to me until the past few years. My fellow Catholic believers gave up meat, marked a cross on their forehead and proceeded to quietly model reconciliation for the next 40 days. This past year I decided I would give up Mountain Dew, hey, you have to start somewhere, and for the next five days I lived in misery. Deciding I wasn't Catholic and a cold Mountain Dew was screaming at me, I gave in. This year our church has been doing a sermon series leading up to Easter that deals with the process of reconciliation. Reconciling or changing my life so I am a more effective believer, more loving toward those who need love, more forgiving toward those who need forgiveness, and more Christ-like toward those who need to see a poor representation of Christ here on earth. Chocolate is gone, well, except for a slip, gone and I have not been seeing images of a Snickers bar everywhere I look. My department has been wonderful, they know I'm new at this kind of thing. Am I having deeper thoughts, do I feel closer to Christ, nope, I feel a joy that He is assisting me at overcoming a strong pull in my life. If He can help me with this one thing, He can help me with many other things. One little step at a time.

No comments: