Monday, April 25, 2011

A Framework for Teaching

Our education system is a mess. That does not take genius to conclude. The hidden agenda of privatizing education is becoming less hidden each month. Typically, statistics are misrepresented to provide the information that one system is broke and the other system works very well.

Please, remember who is selling you the system that works very well. I usually see politicians, former heads of large corporations and businessmen, most of whom did not attend the type of schools they are attacking as failed. I have never had any of these people volunteer to teach my classes for one month. I have invited but, alas, never received a reply. I once begged President Bush to come to my school to help me with the child who wanted to be left behind but, alas, he never acknowledged my contacts.

I believe that Illinois may be moving in a decent direction. I have dug out my Charlotte Danielson and am preparing to review the "frameworks" for effective teaching. She at least understood that no matter what new technology comes along the basic practices encouraged by Madeline Hunter work very well. Doesn't matter if it is 1980 or 2011. Good instructional practice is good practice. Now, how will we get parents to understand that not all children are above average?

No comments: