Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Frustration

This image may not make much sense to those who stumble across my ramblings (think about what a hinge does). I have been involved in teacher evaluation training using the "Danielson" model, watching video, taking notes, doing practice evaluations, all trying to get ready for the Module 2 exam. While watching my "practice" video this morning I came across a new message, "ajax error." I had typed in most of my comments from the fourteen minute practice video but on the second to last comment (I type them on another computer while watching the video on full screen. I then retype them into the program where I score the teacher.) I got the statement, "ajax error." The program would not accept my comment so I tried deleting a few words and typing again which worked! I was typing my final comment when "ajax error" popped up again so I tried the same method.....kicked out of the program losing all previously entered material. This would not have been so aggravating (I'm lying.) if I had not just watched a practice video where there was a split screen camera view with one camera (right side) constantly in motion until my head was about to explode. I understand that consistency in evaluation is a good goal, I understand there are flaws in our current education model and I would like to be part of the solution, is this really the best Illinois could do?
There may have been federal money dangling and we are broke but do you throw together a product and rush it out, demand we complete it by September 1 just to get dollars? Yes, no matter how that flies in the face of sound education practice.

Charlotte Danielson developed a wonderful reflective model to "enhance" teaching skills. Teachers and administrators could work together, record lessons, discuss what each person observes, note the strengths and weaknesses and then create a plan for improving instruction. Isn't that our goal? Don't most teachers want to improve their instruction? I have heard Danielson present and I can't believe this is what she wanted done. As I watched one practice video and typed my notes, made my evaluation, I was marked down because I didn't hear a clear lesson objective and the "expert" did. I went back watched the video again, nope, not there, it must be earlier in the video but it is not in clip shown to us.

I will persevere, I will watch all the videos (except the "ajax error) and will get through this. I am concerned about the future of education in America.

No comments: