Thursday, March 27, 2014

Endurance

I've started training for a summer bike trip. Today was one of those difficult days, strong wind out of the southeast that held my first 6 miles of the ride to an average speed of 8.3 mph. A quick right turn made it difficult to stay upright on the bike for the next couple of miles and one final right turn made all the difference. I could ride 20 mph without effort all the way home. Enduring the first six miles took some mind games, I think the new phrase in education is "grit." It is interesting that we are discovering many students are lacking grit. How did they miss out? How do we give it to them? Is grit important in life? Is grit important in school?

Those raised on a farm are laughing, grit was taught early and often.....chores that had to be done every day, hard, dirty, sometimes dangerous work taught "grit." People of faith know the words of James, "consider it wholly joyful,, my brethren, whenever you are enveloped in or encounter trials of any sort, or fall into various temptations. Be assured and understand that the trial and proving of your faith bring out endurance and steadfastness and patience (Amplified Bible p 358)." The ability to overcome adversity comes by facing adversity, ask any athlete. We don't develop endurance by avoiding training, physical, mental and spiritual. They all contribute to developing endurance so we can run the race of life.

My ride today brought my March total to 128 miles. Not nearly enough seat time for my 1200 mile ride later this summer, but it's a beginning, my endurance is on the rise.

No comments: