Saturday, October 21, 2017

Tremont History Part VII: 1938 GAA photo


Scanned this page from the 1938 Tremont High School "Re-Echo." Small towns make for interesting future examination, in the years ahead Christine Schurter in row 1 would become my aunt, Helen Adcox in row 2 would become my mother, Bernice Schurter in row 4 would become my aunt, Marian Bolliger in row 4 would become my wife's aunt, and Imo Adcox in row 5 would become my aunt. For those of you too young to remember life before Title IX, GAA was the Girls Athletic Association which allowed competition in a few sports. This was competition within the school not against other communities. I remember watching the GAA teams playing field hockey and many guys being jealous we couldn't touch the sticks for fear we would immediately hit each other. The girls also played some strange form of basketball that I never understood. You would probably have to ask someone over 56 for an explanation. I know there were more than 5 players and not all could cross the center line but beyond that my understanding is limited.

No comments: