Saturday, June 6, 2009

Tour de Casey's 2009

June 5, school has been out for two days and we are finally hitting the road for the first annual Tour de Casey's. Blaine, newly graduated senior, Tom, my team-teaching partner and I are leaving Pekin High School at 7:00 a.m. bound for Tremont, Hopedale, Minier, Mackinaw, Morton and finally Groveland where we will stop at every Casey's. I have ridden all of 100 miles in 2009 and we rode 55 miles in one day most of the final 25 miles into a fairly steady headwind. Overall the day was fantastic, the Casey's donuts were supurb, the G2 cold, second breakfast at the Mackinaw Family Restaurant was outstanding and my legs were shot. We were only yelled at once by a driver who didn't know how to pass bicyclists riding single file. This is a great time of year to ride and the winner of the outstanding Casey's was Minier. All you bicyclists.....this route is a great ride and there are dozens of others in Tazewell County that would equal it. Cycling is a great way to truly enjoy the outdoors, even though Blaine had his Blackberry out at every stop and had to listen to two teachers discuss the "voice" of each community we passed through the day was great. My apologies for the lousy video, my legs were shaking so bad from lack of training and riding with people who could be your children is getting more difficult each year. My thanks to both of these guys for allowing the old fat guy to ride along. It means a lot. Oh, Groveland....I couldn't face riding another mile north and then back to head home....next year!

No comments: