Sunday, July 12, 2009

Current Project

Living in an older home is interesting. Over the years there were attempts to "update" things. Carpeting laid over oak floors is one I still have yet to comprehend. The original owner of our home got tired of walking two blocks to a garage so he bought a garage from someone, dismantled it, and put it up next to his house. That worked well for years and years but then termites and other "updates" by owners over the years took a toll on the venerable garage. We knew there was termite damage and so the year we moved in I hired American Pest Control to rid the premises of the pesky critters. Ahhhhhh, the damage was already done. Tearing the old garage down I found the garage door header had been chewed literally to pieces. Every corner was eaten and the sill plate was just about gone. Anyone reading this who thinks you can treat your own home for termites.....you can't. Pay the professional, you are just postponing the day of reckoning. I will try and post updates on my progress. I may even be able to find a good picture of the garage header to post.

No comments: