Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Long Time Writing

It's that time of year. Shorter, cooler days, longer nights. After having four years of excuses our church offered a men's class on Saturday morning. Since September twelve of us have met from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. in a class called "Basic Training." We are supposed to have about two hours of homework but since my brain doesn't memorize well I usually have to spend far longer to get my memory verse internalized. It has been wonderful. We have read several chapters of Ortberg's book, The Life You've Always Wanted and now several chapters of Farrar's book, Point Man. I have listened to taped messages by Howard Hendricks and Bill Hybels. I have been confronted with the disciplines of the faith. I have been found wanting in my commitment to serve. The week I had to memorize Philippians 4:6-7, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus," I learned I am a very anxious person.
I am anxious because my house remodel hasn't been completed, I am anxious because I am not the teacher I desire to be, I am anxious because money is more of a stress than it was, I am anxious because my 92 year old dad isn't in good health and the list could go on. Why am I not thankful for a job, for a wonderful wife, for a loving family, for a church family that has brought blessings that we can never repay, for the people I work with who make going to work a pleasure instead of a pain, for a group of men meeting on Saturday morning who are willing to take a risk and share their joy and pain. Why am I anxious? I am told not to be. I am told to be thankful. I am resolving to allow the Lord God of all creation to begin a work in me, to change me, to take my anxious heart and mind and give me peace and rest.
May this same God do the same for you. Peace.

If your church doesn't have a Basic Training class for men, contact me and I will send the information. It will change your life.

No comments: