Sunday, April 25, 2010

Why Can't We Be Satisfied?

I've written before about the class I have been taking this year. Saturday morning we discussed "serving for the long haul" under the larger topic, "Finding Your Role in God's Family." Assignments for the week included listening to Bill Hybels speak on "Reading Your Gauges." In that presentation he identified four mismanaged areas of our lives that lead to the wheels coming off. One, our pace of life which leads to economizing or pushing back those things that are really important in order to keep up the pace of those things we believe are important; two, emotions, we must remain emotionally healthy to produce fruit and if life is emotionally depleting we will be ineffective in doing what God has placed us here to do. Third, relations, pace of life gets to be too much, our emotions drag and our relationships suffer, usually those relationships that should be most important, to our God, our wife, our children. Fourth, spiritual life, one plus two plus three equals four. Remember Titus 3:5.
Then an article by Doug Sherman entitled, "God First, Family Second....Right?" Excellent article that is a rebuttal to old adage God first, family second and so on. He views God in all things and so sets up a pentathlon model where there is no rank but God permeates our entire life. "How can we live in obedience to God as our free time diminishes and the demands on it increase?" Chapter 12 in John Ortberg's book, "The Life You've Always Wanted" discusses a similar model.
Finally, a part of our study and discussion centered around "management of my spiritual life."
1. Am I in a position where God can speak to me?
2. Am I sensing God's love in my life?
3. Is there infrequent personal application of God's Word?
4. Is my Christian life reduced to a rut of routine?
5. Is my prayer life mechanical at best?
Why can't we be satisfied with enough? Why are we always chasing more? Bigger house, next promotion, more time at work, less time at home? As someone closer to sixty than fifty I can reflect on the time invested pursuing what the world holds important instead of what is really important. In the big picture I see that whether I drive a Lexus or a Corolla won't matter one bit. Whether I have the biggest house with the perfect lawn.....it doesn't matter; what matters is whether I have taken the time to develop the right relationship with God which in turns helps me focus on having right relationships with my wife, my children, my job and everything else. I'm not Buddhist so don't assume that because I find wisdom in their Dharma Wheel I am recommending Buddhism. Christians must focus on developing the right relationship with our Lord so that out of that all other relationships have the potential to develop correctly.

No comments: