Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Back To School

It is the time of year when our department celebrates retirements, retirees, and returning to school. Each year the week before school our Social Studies Dept. members, spouses, and children share a meal, memories and anticipation about the coming year. It is a special time for me because I touch base with former members and introduce new members to their new second "family." We are somewhat unique in that I hire people who I believe will make great teachers but also people I believe will bond with co-workers and form a team that shares ideas, struggles, joys and successes. I want people who are open with others, who take advice, give advice, can agree or disagree and be professional. I get to work each day with people who meet this criteria and exceed it. For those of you who don't hire in this manner........reconsider. All of the background relationships are what make us successful in the classroom, none of us stand alone, we are supporting one another at a variety of levels and that is what benefits our students. It is part of the reason when students have the schedule space they fill it with a Social Studies credit. Our family of teachers cares for each other which makes it easier to care for our students. Have a great school year!

No comments: