Saturday, November 13, 2010

On-line



Riding through Delavan, Illinois on a Saturday morning and there was a 1954 Ford for sale. Since I was born that year and my Grandfather owned a similar vehicle I had to stop and snap a picture. Chrome, two-tone, white-walls, V8, and room to relax. How times have changed.
It appears that I will pilot the first on-line class at Pekin High School next semester. We are well past the minimum of twenty students and will have to reduce to hold the class to thirty. Did my grandfather ever think there would be "on-line" learning? Could he have even understood the concept? Do I understand the concept? More on this second semester.
The Ford cruised down two-lane highways, windows down in summer for "air-conditioning" and the heater providing comfort in cold weather. The left foot determined if your "brights" went on or off by pushing a button on the floor. Who could have imagined what the modern auto would be capable of doing fifty-six years after this car cruised down memory lane? Am I capable of imagining what students of today will need in ten years let alone in twenty to thirty? I'm thankful I love learning, will they?

No comments: