Sunday, June 27, 2010

Power of Decision: Leaving the Boat

Our church is having worship services in the tradition of other Protestant denominations. We have had an Orthodox style and today it was worship in the Baptist tradition. Our directing pastor's wife is also ordained and comes from the Baptist tradition so she had the message. Her scripture basis was from Mark 1:16-20 and Matthew 14: 22-33 and the focus of her message was two-fold, the calling of the disciples and Peter walking on water. Things from the message that really struck me were how the fishermen, when called, dropped their nets and followed. They gave up their identity as fishermen and the security of their work for the unknown. What is it that I hesitate to give up that hinders my totally following Jesus Christ? Why do I think that God needs to hear my opinion? Why do I think that all the things I do are more important than the call to "follow Me?" The truth is, the disciples are a miracle in that they followed. Jesus didn't have try-outs. He called, they followed. The "training" was on the job and usually they didn't get it. Bottom line, the Holy Spirit was very capable of empowering these men as will happen later at Pentecost. I need to decide if I am willing to follow Christ and discern what that means. Christy made a comment in her message that when Peter began to sink he discovered we are not created to go it alone. We each need Christ every minute of every day. Jesus calls us to get out of the boat so we can live more abundantly. As we leave the boat, His hand will reach out and lift us above the storm.

No comments: