Wednesday, August 9, 2017

School Memories: Helen continued


Continuing on in the "My School Day" book of quotations from early years of Helen's education.

Feb. 11, 1935  "Dear Helen, I have certainly enjoyed having had you as one of my pupils. I shall always have pleasant memories of the little girl with the sweet disposition."  Imo Stegner (teacher)

Feb. 11, 1935  "Dear Helen, I hope that when we get big and tall that we will be friends as we are now and I also hope that nothing will break our friendship."  Dorothy Helleman

Feb. 14, 1935  "1 2 3 4 5 6 7  that's how many neva's baby's in heaven; none of them are mine, but you are mine; so be my Valentine."  Louise Bodie   (note from Rich, hard to make out "neva's" in the writing but there was history around the idea of naming a child "Nevaeh" which is "heaven" spelled backwards. Someone else may know more about this quote)

Feb. 18, 1935  Dear Helen, Roses are red, violets are blue, angles (should be "angel's") in heaven are singing for you."  Your friend, Wylma

Jan. 2, 1933  Dear Helen- When you are married and your old man gets cross, come over to my house and eat applesauce."  Your sister, Harriet

"When you get married and live on the farm, send me a watermelon as long as your arm." Yours Sincerely, Margaret VanBuren

Feb. 12, 1935  "Dear Helen:  See a monkey in a tree, pull his tail and think of me."  Your classmate, Ella Marie

"A ring is round and has no end; so is my love for you dear friend."  Dorothy Bertsch

Last entry on the back page of this small booklet was:

Helen Virginia Adcox   Nov. 3, 1923  Tremont, Ill. Have always lived in Tremont.
Cecil Carlyle Adcox   March 18, 1911  Redmon, Ill. moved to Tremont in 1920.

No comments: