Saturday, August 11, 2018

Schurter Family History: Building a home, 1988

  Thanks to Helen Schurter for getting these shots of our home construction. I faithfully took pictures daily but hadn't properly connected the film so it never advanced so no pictures. The above picture shows the north end of the house still 9 pitched. Once the rains returned I had a leak where these various roof lines met. I tried and tried to hunt down the leak and couldn't so a couple of years after moving in I took the 9 pitch off the back and extended the dormer out to the end of the house. Thanks to Bud Morr for all his help that weekend. It made our master bedroom much larger and took care of the leak.

 East back side of house with beginning framing for the back porch. 1988 was an unbelievably hot and dry summer and I was trying to get the family moved in by the start of school. Fortunately my Department Chair, Jim Carner, told me to use both personal days at the beginning of the year so we could make the interior inhabitable. No doors, no kitchen cabinets, but we could sleep there and continue working.


 This picture belongs prior to the above picture because the roof isn't finished. I finally had to hire help....that's me bent over another piece of insulation board, my Dad is watching Tim Barrow nail them in place. I so carefully put two layers (alternated so no joints lined up) over the exterior and then got in a hurry and forgot the Tyvek!

 House had been completely roofed by this point thanks to Vicki who in spite of being continually terrified faithfully handed me shingles. It was a 9 pitch on the front side so I used roof-jacks to try and help her feel more confident. There are a couple of front windows hung but no front door yet.The garage is in the process of being framed. 



No comments: