Saturday, August 25, 2018

Schurter History 1939: Henry Schurter Ledger Posts part 4

 $2.12 per acre for Dad, his D4 and picker. I don't know where Alley Davis lived but Dad told me about picking the field just east (along the Mackinaw River) of where the Cullinan yard was located along Rt. 9 heading to Mackinaw the first year that the farmer planted hybrid corn. Dad said the farmer didn't have near enough wagons to keep up with how fast Dad could pick and how high the yield was. I'm probably not exact but I believe widespread use of hybrids (corn) began in the mid-1930s so it would have taken a few years to gain popularity.

 Per bushel threshing for wheat and oats at the Joe Eicher farm.


 First entry under Ben Getz (relative of my mother-in-law) is from 1938. $1.50 for a half day of labor seems impossible today.


No comments: