Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Schurter History 1939: Posts from Henry Schurter Ledger Book part 1


 If you are new to this blog my Dad ran a "Farm Power Contractor" business starting at age 17. He had attended school through 8th grade and once high school began his Dad "encouraged" him to consider going to work instead of high school. After working for area farmers his Dad and brother (Dan) loaned him the money to purchase the Caterpillar D 4 and open a business. I will be attempting to scan and publish his day book from 1939, this is the only day book in my possession. If the scan is unclear I will type the information. I had high hopes of finding unpaid bills that would make my brother, sister and I wealthy but, alas, no such luck. Some of the information is easily understood but some, like the page today, isn't so clear as to what is being recorded. I included the pre-printed pages because they contain some pretty good information, "Contracts made on Sunday cannot be enforced." 





 My best guess is that these are hours worked for each person or, in one case, the county. Remember, the country is still in the Great Depression which began in the fall of 1929.

No comments: