Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Is this reality?



I'm sitting in the local Panera bread company, drinking a latte, eating a tuna salad sandwich and blogging. Pretty American activity for the 21st century. Closed down the home internet provider so now I spend my time looking for the freebie hook-up to check e-mail and, of course, keep up my blog. I have already lost my new economics teacher so interviews are set up for the next two days to fill that position. I pray good, quality people are still out there. It doesn't appear that econ. is high on the priority list of graduating social studies or history ed. majors. It obviously isn't important to our government officials except in figuring out to manipulate numbers to make the economic picture pretty. I believe our clerk at the local gas station is the norm, works two jobs to make ends meet. You have to love this service economy we have created. WWJD? This would come as a shock to many of my friends and not a shock to many others, Jesus would not be a Republican or Democrat. He simply stated to "render unto Caesar what is Caesar's" does this mean we might have a higher calling? Might our task be modeling Christ to a lost world? Might our task be to show love to those who are unloved? Might our task be feeding those who are hungry and quit worrying about whether they are taking advantage or not? Vicki and I watched Pursuit of Happyness last night, the church that fed and housed the homeless was profound. Am I being profound in my Christian life?

My Brasil photos show how they form concrete. Interesting process that works well in a climate where the parkas come out when it hits 78. There is no rock added to this mix since eventually tile will be laid over the top. There is no heaving to worry about so no wire or rebar is used. A tile leaning against a board holds the form in place. Very unlike my constant expansions and contractions against Christ. He wants to hold me in place but I continually want to expand my control which is where problems come in.

Two final comments: I just finished The Crucible and am just about done with Huck Finn. These are just two of the books I need to get read this summer for American Studies this fall. What books, worthy of a whole blog themselves. Both books are highly recommended reading for thoughtful people.

No comments: